“5 Easy Ways to Evangelize Today”Categories: Christian Living, Evangelism, Joshuah Ellis
For some reason, it seems that talking to other people about the Gospel is one of the hardest things for Christians to do. Why is that? We all know that it is important. We all know that we should be spreading the good news of Jesus Christ and Him crucified. We even understand that it is a vital part of our own obedience to God. Then, why does it seem so stinking hard? Is it because we lack confidence? It is because we lack knowledge? Is it because we feel our personality type is not conducive to evangelism? I think if we are honest, we’ll admit that it is probably a combination of all of those things. So today, I want us to think small. Here are 5 things you can do today to evangelize.
1. Read your Bible in public. You can read, right? I sure hope so because if not, this post you clicked on is going to be a real downer. Have you ever thought of taking your Bible to work and doing your daily reading during your lunch break? It really is that simple. I do need to say, though, that attitude is very important here. This is not something that is to be done for accolades from other people like the hypocrites Jesus spoke of (Matthew 6:5). It is, however, a great way to let your light shine and begin to establish influence with other people (Matthew 5:16).
2. Talk about worship. Sounds easy enough. That’s because it is. When you get to work or school on Monday, bring up something you learned from Bible class or the sermon. You don’t have to re-preach anything. Just make mention of something. “Yesterday our preacher talked about the power of prayer and it really reminded me about how my prayer life should be.” That’s it. This is another great way to establish influence among your peers.
3. Hand someone a card. It could be a business card for the church, preacher, or yourself. It really doesn’t even have to be a card. Just hand out something with the church’s information on it. You can do this as you leave the store. You can leave it with your tip at a restaurant. The great thing about this is that you don’t even have to say anything if you don’t want to. Just hand someone the card, wish him/her well, and be on your merry way.
4. Invite someone to services. Ok for this one, you will need to say something. But, it’s not much. All you have to do is extend and invitation. “Hey our preacher is going to be talking about ________________ this Sunday. You should come check it out.” They may or may not agree to come, and that’s ok. The main thing is that you are getting in the habit of inviting people. A little tip here: Don’t ask a question that someone can say “no” to. Instead of “Do you want to come…?” say “Why don’t you come…?”
5. Make a plan. Sometimes we forget things that we don’t schedule. Evangelism tends to take the back burner to life sometimes because our lives are so busy. However, if you make a plan, then you have a better shot at a solid follow-through. You can start small if you want. Resolve to perform one of the 4 previously mentioned tasks at least once/day for a week. Then, just see how it goes. You might surprise yourself with the number of opportunities to evangelize that you didn’t previously notice.
These might seem a bit overly simple, but that’s the point. Of course, this blog is intended to provide a starting point for evangelism. Hopefully, by using these simple tips, our skills can become more refined so that we feel more comfortable getting even more involved with sharing the Gospel.
Maybe you like to do something that I did not mention. Leave me a comment and let me know what works best for you in the area of personal evangelism.